Unable to get into X

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:31:48 UTC 2011

On Saturday 10 December 2011 19:52:43 Joe Zeff wrote:
> Good news: I borrowed my sister's (PS2) keyboard, put it on my desktop
> and tried it.  It worked.  I booted directly into a CLI and posted my
> xorg.conf at http://www.zeff.us/xorg.conf

The xorg.conf seems ok, nothing wrong AFAICS.

> and looked at
> .xsession-errors, but saw nothing obviously wrong.  Startx worked, but
> got me into what looks like a Gnome 3 session, not XFCE.  That's not a
> big problem, except that I had trouble finding some of the things I
> needed and and to use ^Alt-Backspace to kill X.

IIRC, there should be a "logout" option in the Gnome3 menu. I've never tried
Gnome3 from runlevel 3, but I guess that should gracefully shut down your X
session and bring you back to the text console.

> I'll be busy Sunday, but will get another keyboard Monday.  Once I've
> done that, I'll try such things as posting the GDM log (Where was it
> again?) and other stuff.

/var/log/gdm.log or /var/log/gdm/gdm.log , don't remember exactly.

> BTW, how do I turn the ssh daemon back on in
> F16 because it can come in handy.

service sshd start
chkconfig sshd on

Or you can use the systemctl equivalent of the above, ie. the New Way for
doing the same thing. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko