Publishing for IEEE 802 -- PDF, Framemaker, and Visio

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Dec 11 14:01:50 UTC 2011

> But now I will need to produce and edit PDFs.  All diagrams MUST be in

You can't meaningfully edit a PDF - its a print format. It's really
output not input (except maybe to things like printers). Openoffice
happily generates pdf documents, it's quite good at it in fact.

> Visio format (IEEE requirement).  802.11 requires use of Framemaker
> (fortunately, though this is 802.15 and they are not so locked in.  yet).

Visio has two formats it generally uses. VDX is the newer 'XML' format
and Dia can import and export VDX files.

> So I am looking for some decent pdf and visio tools to use on my new f16
> system.  And I am quite the basic typer/drawer.

Alan