External drive partitioning problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Dec 11 18:42:36 UTC 2011

On 12/11/2011 01:29 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.12.2011 19:25, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>>> use fdisk or gparted and create a new partition table
>> So help me here a bit with fdisk.  I have the following:
>>
>> fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>>
>> Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
>> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>> Disk identifier: 0x24796452
>>
>>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/sdb1          782981      803458       10239    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> i said nothing about "fdisk -l"
> i said use fdisk
> as first you get a hint that "m" lists the options
> so the matching option for create a partition table is "o"

I have not used fdisk for a LOOOONG time, and could not remember the
commands, but -l would probably provide a list of what was there, so I
did that.  'm' for listing the options.  Menu?

Anyway, thanks, o did the trick, I now have a 1Gb EXT4 partition.  Thing
is, after the formatting as EXT4, 50Gb is used with nothing on the disk!