Thunderbird - Disappearing Characters

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:43:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I read this after responding to Mike's response....   I think you are
>>> probably on to something with the X server and/or video driver/HW.  It
>>> may be helpful to know if you and Mike have similar HW?
>>
>> I am seeing the same symptoms on different machines with different
>> hardware both i386 and x86_64, and some desktops with nvidia graphics,
>> also on netbook with onboard graphics - so for me this seems hardware
>> independent....
>
> After seeing the previous comment about a dictionary being the
> possible culprit for my issue - I removed mine (British English
> dictionary) and installed the US English dictionary instead - so far I
> have not had the problem recur!  I will continue to test for some days
> to be sure - but if that was the problem it will be nice to not have
> to put up with it in the future - I can probably (just!) cope with
> American English.....

Having thought the problem was gone - I found several occasions this
evening when I had the same line rendering fault as before but with
the US English dictionary - so I guess that it was not due to the
dictionary but something else! Shame!

I hope that it can be resolved but I think I will try to capture a
screenshot of the problem and push a bug report upstream to the
Thunderbird developers....  probably in a day or two when I get a
chance to capture some images....

--
mike c