Fedora causes laptop to overheat

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 12 05:18:16 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 04:38 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
<>

> Afaik it's 1920x1080 at 60Hz.
-=-

that will churn the gpu faster and produce more heat than a lower res.

> I have no idea how to change the resolution nor how to monitor the temp
> of the ATI videocard now that the Catalyst drivers are installed.
-=-

changing res is thru, i believe, services. not under fedora at this time
to check to see what it actual is.

if the driver does not have ability to monitor, no need to change res to
see. unless you might happen to have gpu temp under 'sensors'.

all of which brings a question. how do you know it is running cooler now?

> Last week.
-=-

if you had done such while still using the radeon driver, it would have
been interesting to know before and after. plus, knowing temp between
recent and last time of cleaning could give you an idea of how often you
need to do such.

> Yes the Catalyst drivers made things a lot better. Yet I would prefer to
> run the F16 radeon driver but for now that seems out of the question.
-=-

as above, if catalyst drivers do not let you monitor, how do you know
it is better? :-)

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**