Stateless IPv6 questions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 12 14:15:35 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 10:47 PM, nullv at gmx.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm kinda new to IPv6 and have a few questions on setting it up.
> I've set up an IPv6 tunnel on sit1 and I have radvd broadcasting a prefix on em1. My clients are able to generate global IPv6 addresses and ping&  browse other sites on the internet. However, I noticed that I have to enter DNS servers manually. Is there a way to set up dns servers for clients automatically without using DHCPv6? I know there are extensions that support rDNS servers&  DNS search domains via the stateless protocol but is there a way I can also send DNS server info?
> And also, I noticed that while the clients are generating properly prefixed global addresses, the gateway address (2001:...) is still a link-local address (fe80:...). Although things seem to be working will that be a problem for other applications or services?

I stopped needing radvd 2 years ago when my new gateway router gave me
the needed functionality.

But here is an example from my radvd.conf:

interface eth1.16
{
         AdvSendAdvert on;
         MinRtrAdvInterval 3;
         MaxRtrAdvInterval 10;
         prefix 2607:f4b8:3:3::/64
         {
                 AdvOnLink off;
                 AdvAutonomous on;
                 AdvRouterAddr on;
                 AdvPreferredLifetime 20;
                 AdvValidLifetime 30;
         };
         route ::/0
         {
         };
};

Note the AdvRouterAddr line.  This gets the interface address of the
router being sent to the clients