Why is PackageKit needed for abrt?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:21:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 12:36 -0800, Steven I Usdansky wrote:
>> It appears that upgrading abrt in F16 from 2.0.6-1 to 2.0.7-2 is going
>> to require installation of PackageKit, which I long ago purged from my
>> system. Just wondering, why the additional requirement?
>>

> ABRT will pull down debuginfo packages when you file a bug so the
> backtrace is usable. So it needs to have PackageKit around to handle
> acquiring those packages.

Indeed so - however it is not unusual for abrt to require pulling in
several hundred megabytes of debuginfo stuff in order to file a report
- and I wonder if that might put a significant number of users off and
abandon completing the report at that point, particularly if they have
limited bandwidth available for downloads?

This may already be inhibiting the provision of some fraction of
important abrt entries? It would be interesting to hear other people's
view on this aspect?
--
mike c