fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Dec 13 18:26:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, g wrote:

> i am familiar with the dd options of -skip and -seek. just not familiar
> with proper way to use dd with cdrecord.
>
> can someone elaborate?

cdrecord can read from a pipe.
The data does not have to be a *.iso file.
dd can get the data back by reading the raw device.

I've burned CDs by cp-ing to the raw device,
but filtering the data through a burner program is probably more reliable.
IIRC I read it back with tar.
Instead of running as root, I changed permissions on the raw device.

OP's simplest solution is probably to use cp
from the raw source disk to a target raw disk.
If reliability is an issue, he can make two copies.
Probably the target could also be a raw USB stick.
Copying entire disks can take a while.

Using a file for a target risks running into file system limitations.
The one that comes to mind is file size limits.

Regardless of how its done,
a cloned drive has the same UUID and partition labels as the original.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily