Why is PackageKit needed for abrt?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Dec 13 18:28:39 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 09:21 AM, mike cloaked wrote:

> Indeed so - however it is not unusual for abrt to require pulling in
> several hundred megabytes of debuginfo stuff in order to file a report
> - and I wonder if that might put a significant number of users off and
> abandon completing the report at that point, particularly if they have
> limited bandwidth available for downloads?
>
> This may already be inhibiting the provision of some fraction of
> important abrt entries? It would be interesting to hear other people's
> view on this aspect?

 In my opinion abrtd should not download any debuginfo's on the users
machine - zero. As long as the developers have the debuginfo the
tracebacks are useful - so there's no point in forcing users (devs can
download whatever they need) to download any debugging.

  That said, Alan Cox mentioned in a different thread that there is a
version of abrtd which sends the data to a server (which has all
debuginfo files) to analyze - that is better in my view.

  gene