Is Fedora good for Java developers?

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Dec 13 18:32:39 UTC 2011

Hi,
> I want to ask if Fedora is good for me a Java developer? I will be
working with Java EE technologies and possibly developing Eclipse  plugins
also.
As a Java developer I like Fedora because of the many java tools and
libraries that are part of the distribution. Fedora Eclipse does not
include the Java EE plugins but I had no problem enabling Eclipse own
update center and installing additional plugins from there, but I'd prefer
to have then as part of Fedora itself so I did not get many duplicated
jars. Each Fedora release brings the current Eclipse IDE for Java
developers and aditional goods. Debian does not include so many Java
libraries and tools as Fedora.

I don't see stability as a problem comparing to Debian, but it depends on
your hardware. Newer hardware gets supported by Fedora before it is by
Debian. From time to time a proprietary software (like skype) has trouble
with Fedora because of lbrary updates, such as when Fedora switched to
PulseAudio, but you can avoid that by not updating to the latest Fedora
release. Fedora also brings newer PostgreSQL and other software compared do
Debian.

For me access to new Features outweights the problems those features
sometimes cause.
[]s, Fernando Lozano