Yum problem

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 13 20:17:53 UTC 2011

Am 13.12.2011 21:06, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> My desktop is now out of the ICU, but it's still not running the way it should.  At best, it's convalescent.  One
> of the problems is that unless I use --releasever=16 I can't update my system, even though /etc/fedora-release has
> the correct value.  This might be because all of my repos are still for Fedora 14 as the response to yum repolist
> shows:
>
> repo id                   repo name   status
> adobe-linux-i386          Adobe Systems Incorporated       17
> fedora                    Fedora 14 - i386   17,883
> fedora-xfce-4.8           Xfce 4.8 for Fedora, see https://fedoraproject.    144
> livna                     rpm.livna.org for 14 - i386        3
> rpmfusion-free            RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Free      364
> rpmfusion-free-updates    RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Free - Updates    1,050
> rpmfusion-nonfree         RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree      176
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree - Updates      548
> updates                   Fedora 14 - i386 - Updates    7,988
> repolist: 28,173
>
> Does anybody know how to correct this without reinstalling from scratch?

sounds like something is messed by an interrupted upgrade
however "yum --releasever=16 reinstall fedora-release" should fix the version-problem

after that "package-cleanup --dupes" and "package-cleanup --problems" are
highly recommended

"package-cleanup --cleandupes" should help fix problems of an interrupted
upgrade, but be carfeul what it likes to do

i had such issues once after a power-outage while dist-upgrade
machine could be started with the old kernel, fnish the upgrade and
"package-cleanup" helped to really cleanup the installation which lived
the next two dist-upgrades until the machine was replaced