Yum problem

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 13 21:03:29 UTC 2011

Am 13.12.2011 21:52, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 12/13/2011 12:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> sounds like something is messed by an interrupted upgrade
>> however "yum --releasever=16 reinstall fedora-release" should fix the version-problem
>>

> Thanx!  That got the repolist straight.
>
>> after that "package-cleanup --dupes" and "package-cleanup --problems" are
>> highly recommended
>>
>> "package-cleanup --cleandupes" should help fix problems of an interrupted
>> upgrade, but be carfeul what it likes to do
>
> I'd already tried that, with --releasever=16, but cleandupes failed because at least one of the dupes was needed.
> Is there a way to tell it to skip broken?

not really

look what package it is and figure out if it is critical for the OS himself (ssl, yum, python)
if not "rpm -e --nodpes" the dupe and "yum reinstall" for the correct version to make
sure it is really clean installed

if you are totally unsure install smaba with a root account
i had a case where i "cleaned up" a critical package and after that rpm/yum
was killed, but firefox did run as long it was not stopped -> sreached was the
package contained (http://rpm.pbone.net/) and copied the files from another machine
back - yeah this is dirty, but the machine was my first linux-only one and lived
from FC5 to F13 (notebook9 after some of such bullshit-actions of me :-)

that is why i say "never ever reinstall instead upgrade"
i did not see any fedora-installation in my life which could not be upgraded in any way :-)