Yum problem

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 13 21:50:34 UTC 2011

Am 13.12.2011 22:45, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 12/13/2011 01:03 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> if you are totally unsure install smaba with a root account
>
> Are you sure you didn't mean samba?  If so, I'd not have any use for it because I run a Windows-free LAN, except
> for my sister's laptop, and I never need to connect to it.  If you're thinking about moving files from one box to
> another, I can either do that from my laptop by ftp over ssh or, if all else fails, by sneakernet.

yes, i meant samba

in my case the problem was that sftp/ssh did no longer accept connections
samba was the only long-running process which did accept connections
while some basic libraries was damaged, but yes this is a rare case
and a live-cd boot can do the same, it was some years ago and this
time i was happy to repair the installation until ssh worked again

but if you not have samba installed forget it, useless overhead

normally a "yum remove" should show the list of removd packages
to make sure if a temporary "rpm -e --nodeps" is possible