Is there a Linux "file-safe" for Fedora's home file..?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Dec 13 23:42:01 UTC 2011

On 13Dec2011 09:51, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
| On 12/13/2011 04:59 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
| >This works if you have a single-user system, but it's not great if you
| >have a shared machine. I think he's asking for a file vault of some sort
| >where you can maintain your own home directory as encrypted separate
| >from the whole filesystem.
|
| I suppose that you could create an encrypted partition and mount it
| at /home/$USER, so that that user's files are encrypted but not
| anybody else's.

That would be the way, but it creates something of a partitioning
problem, both in that it doesn't scale and that if your system is
already partitioned you can't do it at that point.

But using the same general idea one could make a sparse filesystem image:
make a nice big sparse file, attach it as an encrypted partition (I'm
imagining LVM and/or dm is the right tool), mkfs, mount.

Someone who knows the commands to make an encrypte filesystem and to use
LVM or the device mapper stuff to map a file to a mountable device
should be able to fill in the gaps.

That should get you I/O behavour much more efficient that FUSE based
methods.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

To be or not to be?    Not to be.