Detective work on dupes

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 02:35:40 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 06:00 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> As part of getting my system back to where it should be, I've gotten a
> list of dupes from package-cleanup.  Simply telling it to resolve the
> issues doesn't work because of some dependency issues.  What I'm doing
> now is taking things listed as having problems, and with versions
> pre-fc16 and trying to resolve them one by one.  Slow, but I might
> eventually clear up the dependency issues if I'm lucky.
>
> The first thing I tried was glew.  I only have the fc16 version of
> glew installed, but I have both the fc14 and fc16 versions of
> glew-devel. I'm fairly sure that it's safe to remove the older
> version, but I thought I'd see what others think.  Opinions?

I've gotten burned while removing duplicates in the past.
The safest way that I came up with is to simply run "yum reinstall
<package>" for each package that has duplicates. This will make sure
that none of the newer package's files get removed, while the old one is
cleaned up properly. It also installs all necessary dependencies, so you
don't need to worry about that.

HTH