Detective work on dupes

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 03:29:07 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 07:17 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 06:35 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> I've gotten burned while removing duplicates in the past.
>> The safest way that I came up with is to simply run "yum reinstall
>> <package>" for each package that has duplicates. This will make sure
>> that none of the newer package's files get removed, while the old one is
>> cleaned up properly. It also installs all necessary dependencies, so you
>> don't need to worry about that.
>
> Right now, I'm running package-cleanup --problems and checking to see
> if the top item on the list is a dupe.  So far, each one is and I nuke
> the fc14 version.  Lather, rise, repeat.  One odd thing, though: it
> keeps listing the fc14 version of rss-glx-xscreensaver as a problem,
> even after I've nuked it.  And, I never use -y so that I can examine
> what's going to be removed Just In Case...

In my case it wasn't about the wrong version being removed, it was a
matter of removing a file that belonged to both versions at the same
time (the reason why I had dupes was because an update/upgrade didn't
finish, so old versions weren't cleaned up). Normally yum/rpm won't let
you install a package that owns a file that's already owned...