systemd: wait for shutdown-service to complete

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 04:05:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> hi
>
> i am trying to suspend / start my VMware-Workstation machines automatically
> below my systemd-unit and the two shell-scripts
> start works like a charme (yes i use a seperated user for VM's)
>
> shutdown works on a machine with one small VM
> on my homeserver i see that it is executed (script output)
> but systemd does not wait until all machines are compleltly suspended
> seeing boot-messages and partially fscheck in the guests
>
> has anybody an idea how i can make sure that systemd waits to finish
> "/scripts/vmware/vm-suspend-all.sh" before shutdown the next process
> (in this case vmware.service)  and finally the system?

systemd by default times out after 90 seconds, and it probably takes
longer than that to shutdown your VMs.  You can either set TimeoutSec
in your [Service] section to a higher value (in seconds) or set it 0
to disable timeouts completely.  See the TimeoutSec section of "man
systemd.service" for more details.

-T.C.