Is Fedora good for Java developers?

Rich Boyce rich at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 10:47:32 UTC 2011

On 14/12/11 10:37, Caffeine Lee wrote:
> Thank you guys,
>
> I have the feeling that Fedora is like a tech preview and for Fedora
> developers rather than a platform for something serious.

I think it's both - I support it in an enterprise setting for about 50
people, and it works pretty well. They don't have root, so can't screw
things up too badly, and we have an automated build and configuration
system so I can work around problems pretty easily.

> Maybe I will try Scientific Linux 6.2 (when released) and Debian testing
> and see what's good for me.

I've heard good things about Scientific Linux, as opposed to CentOS,
though the CentOS devs seem to be getting it together again recently.

Rich