FATAL: shmat(id=4096103) failed: Cannot allocate memory

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 14 13:02:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 18:45 -0700, CS DBA wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I just installed Fedora 16, I was running fedora 14.
>
> I installed Postgresql from source and set SHMMAX to 2198066816
>
> I set postgres to use 2GB for shared_buffers and I get this when I try
> to start:
>
> FATAL:  shmat(id=4096103) failed: Cannot allocate memory
>
> The only real difference from Fedora 14 is that on Fedora 16 I'm using
> the PAE kernel
>
> Thoughts?
----
with i686 and even with 8GB RAM and PAE kernel, you can't allocate a
full 4 GB to anything - probably not even 3.5 GB.

BIOS, video hooks have to get memory and thus is not available to the
running kernel.

Suggest you allocate no more than 3GB of RAM or better yet, back your
documents/configuration up and install 64 bit (86_64) and not have these
issues.

Craig

believed to be clean.