Gnome-Shell

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Dec 15 03:19:01 UTC 2011

Dave Quigley writes:

> Is there a list anywhere of supported hardware for gnome-shell? I've tried

It's the same as the list of supported 3D hardware for x.org, on
http://mesa.freedesktop.org, which seems to be down right now.

In addition to that, you also have the additional option of gaining 3D by
installing your hardware vendor's binary blob. If it works with x.org,
great. If not, you're on your own.

> it on 3 computers so far and none of them work. The first was VMWare which
> I've seen isn't supported so I wrote that off. The second was a dell
> optiplex 790 with on-board intel accelerated graphics. The final one is an
> optiplex 960 with a Radeon HD 3450 in it. Is there something wrong with the
> setup or is gnome-shell really that selective about hardware even after its
> been in two Fedora releases?

gnome-shell itself doesn't care, it just uses x.org. If x.org runs, and
gives 3D capability, that's all that gnome-shell cares about.