Gnome-Shell

Andy Campbell andycampbell.uk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:09:45 UTC 2011

Regarding Alans comment about gnome-shell falling back on > 2048 pixel
wide displays, I had the same thing with gnome-shell on an nvidia card
using the nouveau drivers.  So, I guess this might not be specific to
i9xx displays.  In my case, one symptom was that these errors appeared
in Xorg.0.log
---
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
---
even though the card is DRI capable.

I believe this blog entry has the reason:
https://jeremy.visser.name/2009/10/no-dri-on-x-org-with-a-radeon-check-your-virtual-size/
Quoting from that page: "Because of various technical reasons, when
the Virtual size is too big (which, evidently, 2048×2048 is), DRI gets
disabled"

I started seeing this error after I upgraded to a new nvidia card with
more memory.  After the upgrade my default Virtual size went to about
8000x8000 and gnome-shell would only run in fallback mode.  Strangely,
the problem went away when I switched to the closed source nvidia
drivers, and gnome-shell works great.

Andy