Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...

Jake Shipton jakems at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 15 16:30:25 UTC 2011

On 15/12/11 15:32, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Jake Shipton wrote:
>> [snip]
>
> Some of your advice is good, but some of it is not. Even though your
> reply was to a known troll of this list, I'd like to respond to some of
> your comments.
Okay :-). I'll respond back to yours.

>> Ensure when setting up your system you do not use the same password
>> twice, or the same password you use anywhere else. Each password should
>> be unique and should consist of Upper and Lower case letters, Numbers
>> and Symbols (For example: MyPa55W0rd&2012&2011).
>
> The password "this-is-fun" is just as secure as your example.
> http://vivekgirotra.com/why-the-password-this-is-fun-is-10-times-more

Maybe so, but I am simply trying to advise from what I have learned over
the years. I am in no way a professional or otherwise.

I have simply done passwords like how I have shown in my example above
for years, so it is how I advise them :-).

>> [snip]
>> Now you should set up your firewall
>> [snip]
>> Switch to ICMP Filter, and tick the following:
>>
>> - Echo Reply
>
> Disabling ping on a workstation that is guaranteed to be behind a router
> is pointless. Even if the workstation was directly connected to the
> internet disabling ping is pointless. It will only make future
> troubleshooting of network issues more difficult. Your internet presence
> is not hidden by disabling ping.
I am aware of that, for example a stealth scan with no ping will still
pick up open ports. However, the person who I replied too claims to be
under attack constantly. So why not? If you need to troubleshoot your
network, it isn't difficult to re-enable the ping.

--
Jake