Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 15 22:09:45 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 03:29 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 12:01 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> There are some other attack vectors.  For example you download an audio
>> recording or get one in your email and it starts up with a message that
>> a codec is needed and you ALLOW it.  Thing is that codec that is
>> retrieved is malware.  So in this case either firefox or your emailing
>> (thunderbird?) started things.
>
> I was under the impression that codecs were executables and as such,
> OS specific.  I presume that a Windows codec/trojan could run under
> wine if you have it installed, but would it be able to do any damage?
> Enquiring minds want to *KNOW!*

The windows ones are becoming REAL problems, the good anti-malware
programs block them, though.  There are also ones for MACs and I have no
information on how well they will work on generic Linux.  Thing is,
there are also ones coming out now for Androids and those will be more
of a Linux problem.

We are no longer immune, running on Linux.

BTW, this is the daytime job of some of my colleagues.  I just see their
summary reports.