dhcpd server failing to start

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Dec 15 22:34:18 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 05:04 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> >  my whole dhcpd.conf file
> this has nothing to do with your dhcpd.conf
> look at your /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd AND you network-config of the machine
> has the machine a 192.168.2.x address?
>
> this below is my config for having dhcp only on internal subnet which
> is in my case a brdige between lan-interface and wlan0 because the
> machine acts as router/wlan-ap
>
> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
> # Command line options here
> DHCPDARGS=br0

I looked at the file and it was set to "DHCPDARGS=eth1" which is my
internet NIC; so, I changed that to "DHCPDARGS=eth2" which is my LAN
NIC, and to your question as to whether I have such an address as
192.168.2.1, I do, and according to Network Manager, that NIC is
"connected".

The previous errors being reported in "var/log/messages", the incorrect
subnet error, and the "Not configured to listen on any interfaces!"
error, are resolved now.

A new error now being reported is this: "Can't open
/var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases for append." and then results in "Unit
dhcpd.service entered failed state." - I navigated to that file using
Konqueror running as root, and the file is there and I was able to open
it just fine...could this be Selinux causing the "unable to open"? I
just checked sealerts and there are none...

The strange thing about all this is that this was all working the last
time I had a computer behind this box - it's been awhile but I don't
know why I would have changed that /sysconfig/dhcpd setting over the
past months...the mislabeled subnet was probably me when I was trying
various things to troubleshoot this.

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA