abrtd - how to remove

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 23:10:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 20:07 +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:04 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  I just had the lovely experience of abrt trying to be helpful - a GUI
> >> crash - and wanting to download 1.2 GB of debuginfo files including
> >> things it quite obviously (to a human) does not need.
> >>

> >>  I think abrtd needs help with its decisions ... it appears way too
> >> naive in the debuginfo files it needs.
> >>
> >>  That said - how do I remove it?
> >>
> >>  I removed abrt-libs - is that sufficient? Or is there an abrtd daemon
> >> that somehow needs to be removed ... F15
> >>
> >>  thanks
> >
> > Actually I think that what is needed here is the retrace server - see:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RetraceServer
> >
> > However at the time when I was using this some time ago around the f15
> > rc stage there were problems and I don't know what the current status
> > is for this facility?
> >
> > If anyone knows whether it is now up and running it would be really valuable.
>
> In f16 it seems to be available as a package: yum info abrt-retrace-client

I just tried to use abrt to report a crash in Amarok (which bombs every
time I start a new session under KDE). It dutifully offered to download
the debuginfo packages, but they were over 700MB so I declined. I have
the Retrace client installed, but abrt did not offer to use the server.
What am I missing?

poc