Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 02:52:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 15:11 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 02:53 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Which email virus are you thinking of? I don't know any that would work
> > on both Windows and Linux, but no doubt someone has tried.
>
> I'm not thinking of any of them.  I was using email viruses as an
> example of something we used to think was impossible.

Was there such a time? I distinctly remember discussion on the EXMH list
(EXMH was a Tcl/Tk-based interface to the MH mail library) way back in
the 80's, in which someone proposed allowing the mail body to contain
executable content. They were very quickly shouted down by people who
immediately realized the potential for evil.

Note that this was before MS created Outlook, IOW those of us who place
the bulk of the virus problem at MS' door are not just being paranoid.
MS had to have known this was possible, they just didn't care.

But I digress ...

poc