Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:36:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:45:45 -0800, LM (Linda) wrote:

> > > The g'rillas get into it through
> > > weaknesses in FireFox..
> >
> > What makes you think so?

> I get the same cracker treatment as I did with "Storm Virus" creator..
> after I exposed him..  He got onto my desktop.. and emptied a whole file
> folder onto the screen...  I keyed-in "Get Pampers!".. and in an instant
> the W2k OS was totally nuked, crashed...

Your experience with Win2k is not really relevant. When running Fedora,
your ordinary user account doesn't have the privileges to nuke the entire
OS.

> Seems they never get-in while the OS is updating, but when FF is up,
> they do so get in, and mess things up,

More details needed. FF being "up" is not sufficient yet to become an
attack vector. Do you visit many dubious web pages? Web pages controlled
by people that try to serve malicious content? Even then you would need
to develop a good theory about what features of FF they use and whether
it would be possible to do damage to your software.

> Sometimes they lock-out FF's tools header..

What are your JavaScript preferences in FF?

For example, it is normal for some web pages to open customized windows
with dropped tool bars. It's due to some web designers doing that
deliberately because they think it's smart and preferred, or they
want to make it harder for you to access FF's features on such web
pages (e.g. the right-click context-menu).

> They change the language in
> the google search page.. They make right-click tools infective...

What "right-click tools"? And what do you mean with "infective"?
Again, some web pages with JavaScript content try to mess with context
menus and other client features. As a last resort, you can avoid visiting
such web sites or disable JavaScript in FF.

> For several years they've been tormenting me with crashes, a few per
> month, up to four per week..

What makes you think these are not ordinary bugs in the software?
How does your computer crash? Does it freeze completely? That could
be evidence of hardware problems.

> usually the moment I've keyed something, in
> a post, they couldn't handle, because it exposes too much truth about
> the evils that torment humanity..  so I evolved it into "writing posts
> with the net-wire pulled from the tower"..  Seems as if they are
> "almost" hard-wired into my IP.. They have the power, they do what ever
> in hell they please...

Highly doubtful. I think you should get some professional help to have
somebody examine your computer, both the hardware and the software.
Ask the person to create a snapshot copy of your OS's file-system to
figure out whether it has been tempered with and how.
Occasionally, it turns out the computer's user has made fundamental
mistakes and, for example, has installed software from untrusted sources
and even has used the superuser "root" account in inappropriate ways.

> Every few days one of them kooks follows me in his private vehicle..
> I've got hundreds of pix on their antics and evils..

Oh, but that's very much beyond the initial topic. If it gets down
to this level, one cannot rule out that such people acquire physical
access to your computers while you're away. It would be trivial for
them to access and modify your unencrypted harddisk and install/hide
something. That would be even more reason to get professional help
and have somebody analyze your computer.

> I'm in this forum to determine an easy way to make my PC's OS
> impermeable to ape-world's psychotic azzhole attacks,

Well, start with strong passwords, a fully encrypted file-system,
including an encrypted root partition. Keep SELinux enabled (and
enforcing), disable all network-facing services (also disable SSH if you
don't need it), verify that at least the default firewall settings are
active, avoid the superuser root account, don't install software/packages
you cannot trust, verify your local RPM database frequently, look into
whether you could handle running an instrusion detector such as AIDE,
stay way from dubious web pages, collect real evidence of instrusion
attempts and actual changes to files. So far you only present a very
vague theory hidden in much noise.