Can't install nvidia drivers

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Fri Dec 16 16:44:31 UTC 2011

On 12/16/2011 10:35 AM, Lawrence Graves wrote:

> On 12/16/2011 09:27 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Linux guy:
>>> Yes.  After I doing all you have ask me to do, I am still not able to get the nvidia drivers to work. Could I send
>>> you a picture of my screen to your private email address as it will be to large to send to this email address.
>>> The picture shows you what I get after installation and reboot.
>> jesus christ you have to explain "I did a runlevel drop to 3 now I can't
>> get rpm -qa | grep nvidia* to work." first because it seems you are
>> doing randomly things without understanding what they are supposed to do
>>
>> you have to make sure that the "nouveau" drivers are not get loaded
>> or unload them manually to test anything
>>

> I went to inittab at root and changed the runlevel to 3 because I was told that sometimes you have to change the runlevel in order
> to get the nividia drivers install and then do a nvidia-xconfig to change it back to runlevel 5. Sorry for the confusion but I am
> thoroughly confused about all of this. I wish I sent my laptop to you. I believe it is something simple but I am not able to
> define in tech terms so all of you though you mean well are not able to help because I am not able to explain or demonstrate what
> is that's going on.
> --
> Lawrence Graves All things are workable but don't all things work.

Ok, so you're in runlevel 3 (if you're using F16 then you would do this, as root, by doing " systemctl isolate runlevel3.target" in
a terminal). Do the following as root:

1). lsmod | grep nouveau

If you see nouveau modules installed then you need to "rmmod nouveau"

2). Once that is done, do "akmods --force" (this will build and probably load the nvdia driver).

3). lsmod | grep nvidia

    If you *don't* see nvidia, try doing a "modprobe nvidia" and then redo the lsmod in step 3; it should be loaded at that point.

4). assuming all of this has worked, do your "nvidia-xconfig".

5). assuming *that* works, then do "systemctl isolate runleve5.target".  This *should* put you back to an X-Windows session using
the nvidia driver.

Kevin