Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:45:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 17:21 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 13:08 +0000, Jake Shipton wrote:
> > My next advise would be to do the following:
> >
> > 1) Regularly change your password, say every 3/6 months.
>
> Personally, I don't see the point in this.  I think it's a fallacy.

+1

This is one of those corporate "Best Practices" which someone made up
back in the mainframe era when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. It may have
made a little sense then. I believe the argument was "You're going to
make up some lame password anyway, so at least change it from time to
time". It makes absolutely no sense now. Use a password generation tool
or one of the many ways of getting a memorable but hard to guess
passphrase.

Unfortunately, a large part of the corporate Internet hasn't got the
memo, so they keep forcing you to go through this nonsense. I just went
through a security audit in which the external auditors insisted on it
over our strenuous objections. I think we're going to replace passwords
with a token-based authentication system, which is a damned sight more
secure anyway.

poc