dhcpd server failing to start [Solved]

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Fri Dec 16 20:15:53 UTC 2011

On 12/16/2011 10:28 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 05:34 PM, Claude Jones wrote:
>>
>> A new error now being reported is this: "Can't open
>> /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases for append." and then results in "Unit
>> dhcpd.service entered failed state." - I navigated to that file using
>> Konqueror running as root, and the file is there and I was able to open
>> it just fine...could this be Selinux causing the "unable to open"? I
>> just checked sealerts and there are none...
>
> Googling this can't open dhcpd.leases error found a closed bugzilla
> report - this problem was supposedly fixed, and the bugzilla report was
> marked as closed; I've added a comment which I hope will yield a reply.
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/process_bug.cgi

This turned out to be an issue with the permissions on dhcpd.leases
file. The owner of the bug from Redhat responded in timely fashion and
suggested a few things. I discovered that the file permissions had been
set to root:root and I changed them to dhcpd:dhcpd - then, I discovered
that the dhcpd service had been disabled at some point along the way.
Running "systemctl enable dhcpd.service" as root set it to autostart at
boot. After making those two changes and rebooting, I now have dhcp
server working again. Thanks to all for your help in this three-layered
problem.

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA