32 v 64 bit

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Dec 16 20:19:41 UTC 2011

On 12/16/2011 11:51 AM, Soham Chakraborty wrote:
> Big virtual process address space is the immediate benefit that comes to
> my mind. In 32 bit systems, 4G is the limitation of process address space.
>
> For a new system. go 64 bit.

If you don't expect any process to need more than 4G, or you're
expecting to be limited in the total amount of RAM, a PAE kernel may be
sufficient.  If RAM costs/space isn't an issue, you might as well go 64
bit and be done with it.

Right now, my eight-year-old mobo's maxed out at 1G, although the CPU
could handle 2.  I'm finally in a position to consider a hardware
upgrade and expect to be migrating to 64 bit RSN.