Getting a list of applications and packages on my Fedora machine !?

Craig White craigwhite at
Sat Dec 17 21:26:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 16:19 -0500, William Case wrote:
> I think I remember reading a suggestion here about how to get a list of
> the main or core programs on my machine.  It was -- I think -- an rpm or
> yum list command of some kind + grep.  I don't want every plugin or
> update or library just the main program.
> I am about to do a virgin install of Fedora 16 (because its about time I
> started fresh rather than with preupgarde again ) and I would like to
> get a simple editable list of all the stuff I now have.
> It was one of those things that you say "hey neat" but don't save.  Now
> I can't replicate it.
don't know about 'programs' but 'packages' you can use rpm...

rpm -qa

and you can do...

yum grouplist

to get a list of installed and available package 'groups' which may
ultimately be more useful.

believed to be clean.