F16 unusable while writing to pendrive

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Dec 18 02:49:48 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 06:35 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> We Linux users usually make fun of Windows users for having to defragment
> their hard drives every now and then, while our ext2/3/4 solution is sooo far
> superior.

Actually, the fact that Linux drives don't need regular defragging has
nothing to do with the file system.  Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't cram
the files in one after the other, leaving room between them for growth.
  See http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/defragment/index.php?lang=
for a simple explanation.

BTW, if you want to make your flash drive completely unreadable by
anybody using Windows (but not Mac) reformat it to ext4 because Windows
can't read ext4 drives yet.