f16 - mp3 support in Audacity

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 02:58:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I went to import an mp3 audio into Audacity, and it reported that 'this
> version was not compiled with mp3 support'.  Or words to that affect.
>
> How do I get/add mp3 support to Audacity?
>

> Or for this particular need, I have 2 sides of a cassett tape in mp3 format,
> and I want to join them into one.

Fedora's version of Audacity does not include MP3 support because MP3
is patented:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/MP3

A version of Audacity that supports MP3 is available from the
third-party RPMFusion repository.  If you have not already done so,
enable RPMFusion:
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

Then, remove Fedora's crippled version of Audacity and install
RPMFusion's version:
yum remove audacity
yum install audacity-freeworld

-T.C.