Recovering Journal - How Long?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Dec 18 04:33:30 UTC 2011

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 11:17 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> OK, got an F15 system that went a bit bonkers.  Things were pretty much
>> hung.  So, forced a reboot and the fun begins....
>>
>> The boot process appeared hung with the disk activity light on solid.
>> Booted to rescue mode.
>>
>> On one disk is /boot as well as vg_root.  The second disk has vg_home.
>> /boot fsck'd OK and I was able to activate and fsck vg_home.
>>
>> vg_root contains a swap partition as well as / which lvscan shows is 224GB.
>>
>> fsck /dev/vg_root/LogVol01    has resulted a line displaying
>>
>> /dev/mapper/vg_root-LogVol01: recovering journal
>>
>> and the disk activity light is on "solid".  I don't believe there to be
>> a HW problem since /boot is on the same disk and checks OK.  So, the
>> question is how long should this take?  Anyway to see if anything is
>> actually happening/working?
>>
>> Any other suggestions to getting / recovered?
>>
> ----
> no suggestions on getting / recovered but with rescue mode, you should
> be able to <Control><Alt><F3> (or is it F4) and see kernel messages -
> sort of like /var/log/messages. Sometimes this is useful when patience
> is lagging.

Well, it is F4.  Nothing being outputted....  :-(

top does show fsck.ext4 "running".  Without fsck running it shows 99%
idle and 0%wait.  Running it does show a wait of 25% most of the
time....so maybe it is doing something.  I guess I'll let it go for a
few hours before taking more drastic and maybe irrecoverable action.
Like removing the has_journal flag.

Thanks.....

--
sillema sillema nika su