fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Dec 18 05:48:49 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 8:42 PM, g wrote:
> ok, to deal with bios upgrade.
>
> does you bios boot show screens or a graphic banner?
>
> does bios have ability to show 'detail' screens during boot?
>
> if so, boot in that mode to see what is there. some will give an option
> of 'other' or something to that effect.
>
> also, during detail boot, watch to see who wrote bios, and note the
> number and year. you may need to go to them for new bios if new hp bios
> does not have usb boot option.
>
> hp may not note that later bios has usb boot, but if you pull latest for
> your system, and install it, you may find usb is there.

g:

Wanted to get back on this while mulling / understanding the rest.

Its an HP bios that has that pseudo-gui with the limited use of the
arrow keys, return, f-keys, and esc. I went through every page looking
for anything that looked remotely usable as a solution. I didn't see
anything for showing detail during the boot (though I may not be
understanding what you mean by "detail"). Definitely no "other", its
just cd/dvd or hard drive as boot options. I got the date and revision
number of what I have and compared it against HP release notes for bios
updates. It looks like Phoenix who I have seen on a number of different
HP machine's bioses (? is there a plural of bios ?).

My fear is that I can't afford to screw up a bios update on this
machine. I've done one on another machine and it worked, but I was able
to leverage HP support when I did that. That being said, I have pulled
up the Phoenix related website and there may be info there (alot to dig
through). If I knew it had a boot-from-USB update, I'd consider doing
it. I'm just not ready to gamble on screwing up or getting a new problem
until I have the original issue resolved. You are allowed to assume that
you are hearing the sounds of chickens clucking on my end as you read this.

Thanks for your patience and continued help ... especially when I
admitted that I might be considering cutting my losses on this issue.

Paul