[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 18 06:02:23 UTC 2011

On 12/18/2011 05:31 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 9:10 PM, g wrote:
>> that is might decent of them. is there someone there that understand
>> linux enough to use it. ;-)
>>
>> as for what is installed. i would not worry about it unless it is something
>> of a private nature and no child porn. 8-D
>>
>> main thing is that you do have a backup.
>>

> I double checked and they say that, given the problem I am describing,
> it is hardware and they just want some way to 1) let it cook if the
> problem doesn't want to show right away and 2) some way to have web access.
>

> That still doesn't mean that the geek who does the work won't have a
> heart-attack when he sees it isn't the factory installed OS, but the
> person I talked to gave me her name and promised that the order would
> state that "different OS is okay".
-=-

it is a sham/shame that stores do not have techs with more knowledge
than what they do. even tho most all systems are sold with oos, there
are still some that sell with linux.

therefore, give thought to set up a user home for tech to use and remove
everything from menu that he/she can cause problems with, including any
terminals.

iow, leave him/her with firefox, thunderbird under kde. i doubt they could
handle gnome or anything else. also, set up ".bash_profile" and ".bashrc"
to a minimum.

rename 'rm', 'kill', 'su', 'sudo', etc. then hope they do not know about
<ctrl+alt+fx>. ;)

> There's no porn, child or otherwise, to have to worry about (I still
> shake my head when I read stories about computer techs discovering it on
> machines they've been asked to work on --- kind of a Henny Youngman
> variant of "Arrest me -- please").
-=-

such was very dumb, but then again, they were using oos.

> The issue is Maya Beta and my code that uses it. NDA and all that.
-=-

just rename and do not worry about it. because you have it backed up,
delete if you wish further safety.

> Yes, I have a backup that I'll only know is good when I need it.

if it was an rpm package, 'rpm -V' should work.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**