F16 unusable while writing to pendrive

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Dec 18 15:24:27 UTC 2011

> > Actually, the fact that Linux drives don't need regular defragging has
> > nothing to do with the file system.
>
> Actually the fact that linux drives don't get defragged is more
> because there are no defragging tools than because there wouldn't
> be a performance benefit to having the sectors in fragmented files
> moved to adjacent chunks of disk.

Manure...

There are tools for it but ext2/3/4 and some of the other file systems
have allocation algorithms and I/O scheduling policies that make them
fragmentation resistant. If you plot fragmentation and performance over
time they don't drop off very much even after years of I/O (at least for
almost all workloads...). btrfs on the other hand currently seems to have
chronic fragmentation problems.

So it's nothing to do with tools, its a design property, the core of
which comes from the BSD FFS/UFS work in the 1980s. Various other
improvements have been added on top of that including block reservations.

Alan