F16 unusable while writing to pendrive

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Dec 18 18:45:29 UTC 2011

On 12/18/2011 01:17 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Is that what you are saying?.

Did you follow the link I gave?  It's what the explanation there
implies.  However, I'm guessing that the system only knows how big your
first write is, not how big the file's going to get, partially because
the program itself may not know this.  And, instead of going to the
beginning of the area allocated, it goes roughly to the middle, to leave
room for the preceding file to grow as well as room in case you want to
add something to the head of the file.  It's not perfect, and files can
still fragment, but the probability is that it won't happen anywhere
near as often as it does under Windows.