Missing icon from KDE System Tray

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Dec 19 20:35:44 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 02:25 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Yes, really, Ed --- I believe you could get more help on this if you give some
> background on what iBus is, how do we install and run it, etc. Then we can
> test and see, eventually suggest an idea or two.
>
> Looking around via yum, it seems that I do have an "ibus" package installed by
> default from F16 KDE Live, but it doesn't seem to be active on my system. What
> should I do to turn it on and test the system tray icon?

OK.....

First, the cryptic stuff....  IBus means Intelligent Input Bus. It is an
input framework for Linux.

To enable IBus on KDE, GNOME probably has a similar setting (I think it
works OK in GNOME), using the classic tree style menu you go to
"Settings" and pick "Input Method Selector".  From there you pick "Use
IBus".  And you logout and log back in.

That's it...

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless