[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Dec 20 00:15:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> Yes, I have a backup that I'll only know is good when I need it. That's
> a "the check is in the mail" proposition as far as I am concerned

Given the problem, my first thought would be
to cp or dd from one raw drive to another.
To check correctness, mount a partition on one disk read only.
Mount the corresponding partition on the other disk read only.
Do a big diff.
Repeat for each partition.
Rather brute force, but I'd expect it to work.

> (smile). I am still going through your last email giving how-to's ...
> and that states what I discovered regarding /boot/grub.conf (though you
> managed to say what it is and all I could muster was a "huh?" and a
> guess at what might be going on).

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily