Graphical file search tool

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 03:14:52 UTC 2011

On Monday 19 December 2011 21:02:45 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 05:09 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz<rgm at htt-consult.com>
wrote:
> >> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
> >>
> >> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate.  The search in Navigator
> >> does not seem to recurse.
> >
> > I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
> > an option called "Search for Files..."
>
> Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16.  All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.
>
> Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

Oh, now, that was too nasty of you! :-D You made me log into Gnome3 just to be
a witness of a Yet-Another-Great-Design-Decision by the Gnome3 devs... :-D

But to my great disappointment, I actually managed to find the search utility:

Activities (top-left corner) -> Applications (next to "Windows" just below the
top menu bar) -> Accessories (in the vertical list on the far right) -> Search
for Files (in the big list of the accessories, at the bottom of the screen ---
you might need to scroll down the list).

I didn't test it to see if it can recurse subdirectories, however. ;-)

Oh, and don't be dismayed by the "search" field below the top menu bar in the
top-right corner --- that's for searching the Google and Wikipedia, local
apps, local places and favorite bookmarks. IOW, for everything *except* the
files on your drive. Another ingenious masterpiece of The Great Design... ;-)

How wonderful !! :-D

HTH, :-)
Marko