Missing icon from KDE System Tray

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 04:53:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 11:39 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>> Still debating in my head if this is a systray or ibus bug.
>> I just tested this myself and it seems to work fine.  However, I run
>> my system with the "updates-testing" repository enabled, and there is
>> a testing update [1] for iBus, so maybe that version fixes your
>> problem.
>>
>> I can see that it's on it's way to stable, so if you just wait a
>> couple days you'll get it along with normal updates.  However, you can
>> also try it right now by temporarily enabling updates-testing while
>> updating iBus, as follows:
>> yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update ibus
>>
>> -T.C.
>>
>> [1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2011-16873/ibus-1.4.0-14.fc16
>
> That did not have any effect for me.  The update you cite seems to be
> more related to GNOME.
>
> You did check the situation in KDE, right?

Yes.  The last time I used GNOME was when Red Hat Linux was in vogue. ;-)

I mentioned that because it's one of two differences between my system
and a standard one.  The other is that I'm running KDE 4.8 Beta 2.  I
suppose it's possible they've fixed something in the systray that
affects the IBus applet (or Gtk applets in general).

If this problem bothers you enough to attempt a complete KDE upgrade,
there are packages for 4.8 Beta 2 you can try right now. [1]  But, 4.8
RC1 is going to be released Wednesday, and Fedora's KDE SIG should
have it packaged a few days afterward, so you might want to wait and
try something a little more stable.

-T.C.

[1] See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.kde/10704
and http://kde-redhat.sf.net/