[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 20 05:20:35 UTC 2011

I took a day off from looking at computers and came back to look at the
info I had gotten when I said I was abandoning the attempt. I also tried
g4l to see if that worked.

After a couple hours, I know it is time to bail. I lack sufficient
knowledge of partitions and grubs and all that to make a good go of it.
I am assuming that I have captured an image from earlier attempt. It is
not bootable and I understand why.

Given that I've found a way to get hardware display repaired without
restoring Win OS, my original reason for needing a backup beyond "save
my stuff and delete before getting repaired" is not valid. Plus, I am
convinced that the brute force approach of reinstall f14 from original
DVD has a higher probability of success than trying to be clever with
images.

I will probably try again when I make the switch from f14 to f16 as I
will be able to try and test things (that's one of my big problems, I
don't want to see if I got an image and discover that I didn't and lose
current state of machine.

Once again, many thanks on all the help ... I've learned alot (including
a much better understanding of what I don't know) and my trying the
suggestions was worth it.

Paul