Fedora vs openSUSE

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 17:33:33 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 06:18 PM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> Now since my mind has become a little negative for Ubuntu, I just
> wanted to know the truth (remaining) between opensuse and Fedora, and
> for rest of the distributions more --  I would really not look for I
> would be confused more.
Why is it negative about Ubuntu? I am OS agnostic run all three on
different machines. Fedora may give issues if you have non-free
hardware. I gave up on Fedora on my main PC which has Nvidia GTX 470.
Tried three fresh installs all failed. Using fedora on laptop and
openSUSE and Ubuntu on main PC. It also depends on your level of comfort
with GNU/Linux. Ubuntu has some advantages such as PPAs where you can
easily install apps. Fedora repository misses some apps such as arista.
So, if you are the one who needs a lot of applications, Fedora may not
work for you. Also, if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux then go
Fedora/openSUSE way.

Base of Ubuntu is Debian so, there is no harm as long as you are using
Gnome 3 Shell or KDE.

Try all and use what works for you.

Swapnil