gnome 2.3 desktop shows home/me not home/me/Desktop

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 20 21:26:02 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 1:05 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> IIRC you can run "gconf-editor" and look in the "nautilus" folder
> under "apps" and there's a setting for the path of the folder that is
> displayed on the desktop.  If it's not there, it's somewhere to be
> found in gconf-editor.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a F14 box handy and GNOME 3 doesn't even
> have a desktop, so I can't go looking for it ATM.
>
> -T.C.

T.C.:

Thanks. I dug into it and found Apps->Nautilus->Desktop->Preferences and
a tick box about Desktop_Is_Home_Dir which looks exactly like what I
need to correct given its description and the problem I am seeing.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do anything (I am logging out and
logging back in to make sure each test is with a fresh start-up ... I
can't believe that I would need to reboot for something like this).

I am going to have to dig a bit more by comparing my account versus
another that behaves to see what the difference is, but you got me
pointed in the right direction and that's a huge help

Paul