[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 21 00:36:12 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 05:20 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I took a day off from looking at computers and came back to look at the
> info I had gotten when I said I was abandoning the attempt. I also tried
> g4l to see if that worked.
<>

making backups is one of the most crucial parts of maintaining a system.
it is also one of the most important bits of learning that we all go thru.

as a suggestion, get a pack of dvd r-w disc. this will allow you to reuse
them until you get backups down to a point where you feel safe and secure
when you make backups. then you can use 'dvd r' for more permanent storage.

of the many beauties i have found with using tape is that they can be used
many times and are great for incremental backups and they are dependable.

i currently use a scsi standard 'dc' type tape recorder and have plans to
upgrade to 'dat' type for faster speed.

i learned backup using tapes before cd/dvd discs came out and still like
their ability. tapes do not allow flexibility of file to file comparison
as with cd/dvd. but, as yet, in over 35 years of using tape, i have only
had 3 bad tape backups and that was many years ago and their quality has
greatly improved.

when it comes to computers, systems and backups, it is for sure that no
one "promised you a rose garden". if someone ever does, just remember
that many roses have thorns. ;-)

> I will probably try again when I make the switch from f14 to f16 as I
> will be able to try and test things (that's one of my big problems, I
> don't want to see if I got an image and discover that I didn't and lose
> current state of machine.

making images is a very un-assuring way of making backups because there
is no _easy way_ of verifying.

therefore, until you gain confidence in making backup and way and what you
do to make them, you would do best to make path/file backups. this way you
can spot check you critical files and not worry about entire system.

as mentioned before, using 'rpm' and 'yum' checking procedures is easy way
to check system. 'path/file' would be way to check created data.

> Once again, many thanks on all the help ... I've learned alot (including
> a much better understanding of what I don't know) and my trying the
> suggestions was worth it.

you are very welcome for help. that is what this list is about. i am
glad that i was able to help as best i could.

main of it is that you have gained knowledge and will be able to apply
it later when you need it.

anything, good or bad, that you gain knowledge from is worth time spent.

you have perseverance. that is important.

much luck to you in future.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**