[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Dec 21 00:51:24 UTC 2011

edited and inline-comments

On 12/20/2011 4:36 PM, g wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 05:20 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
> making backups is one of the most crucial parts of maintaining a system.
> it is also one of the most important bits of learning that we all go thru.
>
> as a suggestion, get a pack of dvd r-w disc. this will allow you to reuse
> them until you get backups down to a point where you feel safe and secure
> when you make backups. then you can use 'dvd r' for more permanent storage.

Since the very first time I lost some data many many years ago, I've
always had a good backup system in place. As time goes by, I automate
more and more of it, but I am pretty much set up so if any machine dies,
I can recover.

What made this situation different is I have never tried to do it with
an image with the possibility of making it bootable. And I will figure
it out (heck, I'm still crossing my fingers that the image I made before
taking my laptop in for repair will work as a "restore to hard drive"
... that would be a major improvement in my ability to back-up).

Back-ups are a done deal, don't worry.

> when it comes to computers, systems and backups, it is for sure that no
> one "promised you a rose garden". if someone ever does, just remember
> that many roses have thorns. ;-)

I don't usually listen to anything that includes a promise that it is a
rose garden unless it is an actual garden and the promise is a statement
of existence / fact

> making images is a very un-assuring way of making backups because there
> is no _easy way_ of verifying.

That's why bootable seemed like a good thing ... create it, boot from
it, and take a drive to see if it resembles the original.

> you are very welcome for help. that is what this list is about. i am
> glad that i was able to help as best i could.
>
> main of it is that you have gained knowledge and will be able to apply
> it later when you need it.
>
> anything, good or bad, that you gain knowledge from is worth time spent.
>
> you have perseverance. that is important.
>
> much luck to you in future.

I think "pig-headed" about wanting to make it work is a more honest
assessment than perseverance. I know what I need to figure out ... I'm
saving all the email from this thread to have when I can deal with a
system that I can freely experiment with.

Thanks,
Paul