[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 21 01:47:26 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 12:51 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> edited and inline-comments
>
> On 12/20/2011 4:36 PM, g wrote:
>> On 12/20/2011 05:20 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>>
>> making backups is one of the most crucial parts of maintaining a system.
>> it is also one of the most important bits of learning that we all go thru.
>>
>> as a suggestion, get a pack of dvd r-w disc. this will allow you to reuse
>> them until you get backups down to a point where you feel safe and secure
>> when you make backups. then you can use 'dvd r' for more permanent storage.
>
> Since the very first time I lost some data many many years ago, I've
> always had a good backup system in place. As time goes by, I automate
> more and more of it, but I am pretty much set up so if any machine dies,
> I can recover.
>

> What made this situation different is I have never tried to do it with
> an image with the possibility of making it bootable.
-=-

which image? if the one on usb, because you can not boot usb with bios
you have, you need to put thoughts elsewhere. [see 'bios' below]

instead of trying to make usb backup bootable, try 'chroot' and use 'rpm'
and 'yum' to check files.

as for unique files, comparing by 'path/file' will/would be way to go.

to restore unique that you remove, boot laptop with system that you removed
unique files from and copy unique files back in from usb or dvd backup.

> And I will figure it out (heck, I'm still crossing my fingers that the
> image I made before taking my laptop in for repair will work as a
> "restore to hard drive" ... that would be a major improvement in my
> ability to back-up).
-=-

again, as above, see 'bios' below.

> Back-ups are a done deal, don't worry.
-=-

ok.

>> when it comes to computers, systems and backups, it is for sure that no
>> one "promised you a rose garden". if someone ever does, just remember
>> that many roses have thorns. ;-)
>>

> I don't usually listen to anything that includes a promise that it is a
> rose garden unless it is an actual garden and the promise is a statement
> of existence / fact
-=-

great way to be. :-)

>> making images is a very un-assuring way of making backups because there
>> is no _easy way_ of verifying.
>

> That's why bootable seemed like a good thing ... create it, boot from
> it, and take a drive to see if it resembles the original.
-=-

or, 'rpm' and 'yum' checks. unique files/data by path/file comparing.

>> you are very welcome for help. that is what this list is about. i am
>> glad that i was able to help as best i could.
>>
>> main of it is that you have gained knowledge and will be able to apply
>> it later when you need it.
>>
>> anything, good or bad, that you gain knowledge from is worth time spent.
>>
>> you have perseverance. that is important.
>>
>> much luck to you in future.
>>

> I think "pig-headed" about wanting to make it work is a more honest
> assessment than perseverance. I know what I need to figure out ... I'm
> saving all the email from this thread to have when I can deal with a
> system that I can freely experiment with.
-=-

nothing wrong with being a 'pig-head', unless are at a barbecue contest. ;)

bios.

i understand feelings about upgrading bios. it is something to consider.

in such regard, consider that if you pull all the bios upgrades for your
computer, you should find what you need for usb boot.

from what i have seen and experienced, bios upgrade can be made from a
bootable floppy. if laptop has a floppy drive. if not, you should be able
to install with 'wine'.

to play safe, have repair service make bios upgrade for you. if it does
not work, it is their responsibility. 8-)

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**