Fedora vs openSUSE

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 21 07:16:16 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 07:54 AM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:

>>> I really didn't understand this sentence and its hidden (may be) meaning.
>
>> Opensuses' 'agreement' with Microsoft
>
>> http://www.suse.com/company/press/2011/7/microsoft-and-suse-renew-successful-interoperability-agreement.html
>
>> necessarily imposes limitations (theoretical if not actual) on its development
>> ('intellectual property concerns')
>
> Oh I see, this is really amazing. So should I not use openSUSE because
> of this deal? Thanks.

It's up to you to draw your conclusions.

Some people consider this "agreement" to be the "dawn of mankind", "SUSE
betraying/threatening the freedoms of Linux" and "SUSE having contracted
with the devils of the 'evil empire'".

To other people (apparently SUSE itself) it's a "valuable feature" and
valuable advantage SUSE Linux has over its competitors.

To most end-users, this contract is not of much practical importance,
but is more a political thing.

Ralf